Twitter has been hit left and right, from the news of their loss of their co-founder to the FTC investigating them. Isaac “Biz” Stone, co-founder of the microblogging site, recently announced that he’s leaving the company ,but stated on his blog that he will work with the company “for many years to come.” He goes on to say that the most effective use of his time now is to “get out of the way” of Twitter’s crew and leadership team until he’s called upon to be of some specific use.
Tiwtter’s facing some challenges outside of the boardroom, as it’s also being investigated by the FTC regarding their purchase of TweetDeck. The FTC is also studying how Twitter deals with outside companies that build applications based on their messaging platform. But Twitter is still standing. They just announced that they are now serving as many as 200 million Tweets per day.
According to Twitter, “Every day, the world writes the equivalent of a 10 million-page book in Tweets or 8,163 copies of Leo Tolstoy’s War and Peace. Reading this much text would take more than 31 years and stacking this many copies of War and Peace would reach the height of about 1,470 feet, nearly the ground-to-roof height of Taiwan’s Taipei 101, the second tallest building in the world.”
Two hundred million Tweets per day, you’re probably wondering what people are tweeting about so here are the topics that are popularly trending on Twitter right now:
World Events/ News
- AH1N1 – Swine Flu
- Mubarak – former Egyptian President
- Easter – Christian holiday
- Cairo – capital of Egypt
- #prayforjapan – sentiment following the March earthquake and tsunami
- Chernobyl – site of nuclear disaster in 1986
- Libia/Libya – site of an ongoing civil war
- Fukushima – Japanese nuclear power plant
- William & Kate – Newly-named Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
- Gadafi – Libyan political leader
**To catch Obama’s meeting on Twitter, head to http://askobama.twitter.com/, the official Twitter page of the President on July 6, 2 p.m. ET, or 11 a.m. PT.
Latest posts by Mellisa Tolentino (see all)
- Newest developer tools for wearables, IoT security and more - September 4, 2015
- New mouthguard can diagnose illness: This week in Smart Health - September 3, 2015
- Smart lightstrip from Philips Hue for custom accent lighting - September 3, 2015