According to a job ad posted by Amazon Web Services, the company is planning to launch a new service for processing streams of big data. Here’s the job listing:
Amazon Web Services is looking for a Senior Development Manager to lead the team that is building a disruptive new service for processing Big Data streams. Our globally distributed service must be able to process over 2 million records per second at launch, and eventually scale to handle over 100x that traffic. It is equally critical that our platform provide highly available, highly reliable processing of data in near-realtime. If you’re a distributed systems guru who thinks about data in terms of exabytes, this is your dream job.
We are seeking a seasoned manager and technical thought leader with a strong track record of owning successful products. You’ll build and manage a strong team in a fast-paced, startup-like environment. As a technical leader, you’ll need to be a pragmatic visionary that can translate business needs into workable technology solutions that scale both technologically and operationally. Given our rapid growth, you’ll need to be able to lead the organization through change, evolution, and sustained growth as well as be able and willing to roll up your sleeves and get hands on when necessary.
* 5+ years experience building and managing high performance software teams
* 5+ years of OO software development experience in C++ or Java (preferably both)
* Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline
* Experience building and operating extremely high volume and highly scalable web services
* Experience building and operating highly available, 24×7 services
* Experience building and operating globally distributed systems
* Experience with Hadoop, MapReduce, or other Big Data processing platforms
It’s not entirely clear based on this whether AWS is building its own stream processing software, or if it will be offering a service based on existing software (such as Storm, Apache S4, HStreaming, Streambase etc). But it sounds based on this listing like AWS is building its own processing system based on Hadoop.
Real-time data processing was a hot topic at Hadoop World. The session on real-time analytics with Hadoop overflowed.
include IT services, enterprise technology and software development.
Prior to SiliconAngle he was a writer for ReadWriteWeb. He's also a
former IT practicioner, and has written about technology for over a
decade. He can be contacted at email@example.com.
Latest posts by Klint Finley (see all)
- SpaceOps: How NASA Uses Agile Development in the Search for Life on Mars - May 14, 2012
- Big Data and DevOps: 5 Projects to Watch - May 11, 2012
- TacoConf: Ride a Bike, Eat Tacos and Learn How to Run Your Own “CultureConf” - May 10, 2012