The folks over at Telerik have been busy, today the end-to-end mobile software application developers have announced the industry first Integrated Cloud Environment (ICE). Known as Icenium, this platform will introduce a new way for developers to produce applications that fully use the cloud in all its glory to produce, update, and maintain software across all platforms in the market in a write-once run-anywhere paradigm.
Aside from supporting a fully-from-the-cloud paradigm, Icenium also allows access directly to device APIs via integrated support with Apache Cordova.
This is only one element of the entire package, which includes an integrated development environment (IDE) and a slew of development tools to make a developers life easier.
Here’s a short list of the capabilities:
- Icenium LiveSync: lets developers review changes made in real-time across all connected devices without having to waste time recompiling for every change and for each device.
- Icenium Device Simulator: enables developers to immediately see how apps look and behave across multiple device platforms and form factors before actually deploying to physical devices.
- Icenium Ion: makes deploying and testing apps on any Apple iOS device easy, by eliminating the need for provisioning. Simply scan the project QR code and in seconds, the app is installed and running.
- Kendo UI Mobile Integration: Telerik’s complete solution for web and mobile development, developers can leverage its unique adaptive rendering to target multiple phone and tablet platforms with a single UI codebase.
The addition of the Icenium Device Simulator means that developers can quickly eyeball what their chances will do on the various platforms it supports before pushing it live. The Icenium Ion tool makes working with iOS a breeze as it enables grabbing and installing apps via a QR code conveniently displayed in the IDE. Add in an integrated versioning service as well and it’s a must-have for any mobile developer’s toolbox.
“By harnessing the power and flexibility of the cloud, Icenium is helping developers successfully keep up with today’s rapidly evolving marketplace. It delivers unparalleled productivity and efficiency, letting developers focus on designing and coding great apps, rather than managing multiple environments. Icenium is a game changing solution that gives developers the access and ability to innovate quickly and easily, without being tethered to a place or specific platform,” noted Doug Seven, executive vice president of Telerik.
As Icenium permits all apps to be stored directly in the cloud, the platform also enables developers to quickly update applications on the fly by simply updating the version in the cloud. Consumers with the app installed can be informed of the new version in-application via any number of UI elements and easily update at the touch of a button (simply grabbing the current from the cloud without having to go through an app store.)
Right now Icenium is free through May 1st, 2013
As a special introductory offer, Icenium is free to download and use through May 1st, 2013.
As a result, if you’re a developer, this is a very good time to get on board and see what this tool can do for you. Eventually, there will be a subscription to use the service; but consider this one something of a beta until the opening of May next year. The mobile development market really could use something to unify the differing and fragmented UIs, APIs, and application environments, Telerik appears to be rising to the challenge.
Latest posts by Kyt Dotson (see all)
- Meet VREAL: the startup that wants to become the Twitch of virtual reality - April 28, 2016
- What new features for Skype for Business means for DevOps and developers - April 28, 2016
- Bitcoin Weekly 2016 April 27: Bitcoin payments come to Steam, Japan OKs virtual currency, an unlucky someone sent 291 BTC as a fee - April 27, 2016