Skip to content

UPDATED 13:50 EST / FEBRUARY 26 2016

NEWS

Ubisoft reportedly preparing to fight hostile takeover by Vivendi

Ubisoft Entertainment SA, the multinational game studio and publisher behind the Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry games, is reportedly reaching out to Canadian investors to prevent a potential takeover of French mass media company Vivendi SA.

According to Canadian news publication The Globe and Mail, Ubisoft has confirmed that it is looking for investors in Canada, where the company’s biggest studios are located, in order to prevent Vivendi’s attempts to take control.

“We want to increase the number of Canadian shareholders in Ubisoft to have better control over the capital,” Ubisoft founder and CEO Yves Guillemot said. “We feel it’s a good defense.”

Vivendi has had a strange relationship with the video game industry over the years. The company’s now-defunct gaming division, Vivendi Games, was previously the holding company for game publisher Sierra Entertainment (King’s QuestHalf-Life) and game developer Blizzard Entertainment (World of WarcraftStarCraft), among others.

Vivendi Games later merged with Activision Inc in 2007 to create game publishing giant Activision Blizzard Inc, which is today one of the largest publishers in the industry. Within a few years, Vivendi sold off a large portion of its shares, making Activision Blizzard an independent company primarily owned by public shareholders.

More recently, Vivendi has appeared to take a renewed interest in the video game industry after it purchased a 6.6 percent stake in Ubisoft last year, buying 7.36 million shares for a total of $161 million. At the time, Guillemot said that the move was “unsolicited and unwelcome.”

According to The Globe and Mail, a takeover by Vivendi could potentially affect over 3,000 jobs at Ubsioft, many of which are located in Canada.

This is likely one reason that Ubisoft recently earned a visit from Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who toured Ubisoft’s studio in Montreal.

It is unclear exactly how a Vivendi takeover would affect those jobs, but it looks like Ubisoft is not interested in finding out.

Image courtesy of Ubisoft Entertainment SA

Send us a news tip

Send us a News Tip

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign in or create an account

SIGN IN

OR

New User? SIGN UP

Join us

SIGN UP

Bio

Ethics statement

Extract the signal from the noise

Get SiliconANGLE updates and analysis.

Contact us

Partner with us

Contact us

Guest inquiry