The Galaxy Nexus, a joint product of Samsung and Google, is the second device against which the court granted an injunction. Earlier this week, Judge Lucy Koh granted Apple an injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for infringing the Apple iPad.
In Apple’s court filings, the iPhone maker was able to show how Samsung’s products greatly affected their business as the Galaxy Nexus is deemed as “the most credible competitor of the iPhone so far”.
“Apple has made a clear showing that, in the absence of a preliminary injunction, it is likely to lose substantial market share in the smartphone market and to lose substantial downstream sales of future smartphone purchases and tag-along products,” Judge Koh said in Friday’s ruling.
The injunction will take effect after Apple pays a bond of $95.6 million for damages to be awarded to Samsung if this court ruling is deemed wrongful. Apple was quick to pay the $2.6 million bond to put the Galaxy Tab 10.1 injunction in effect.
As expected, Samsung did not take the ruling well and claimed that they will do everything to keep the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Galaxy Nexus available for US consumers.
“Samsung is disappointed, as the court’s decision will restrict U.S. consumer choice in the smartphone market,” a Samsung spokesman said. “We will take all available measures, including legal action, to ensure the Galaxy Nexus remains available to consumers.”
Apple is sticking by their words that they would do everything to protect their products and taking down companies who infringe them.
These two injunctions this week more than makes up for the dismissed case filed against Motorola Mobility the week before.
This double win for Apple could mean more trouble for other companies as this could be a factor other judges could consider when making a decision that involves Apple.